Another week of COVID madness and it seems us humans aren’t too great at learning the lessons of this time. I don’t know about you, but I can accept the fact we’re in a pandemic and everything that comes with it, my struggle is in the idiocy we’re seeing around the world – which means we’ll all be more impacted for longer. It’s just ridiculous what’s going on.
And when it’s like that, it can be hard to keep your emotions stable. I definitely had a burn out in the last few weeks, which happens when you pay deep attention to the news going on around the world. If you find yourself experiencing this burn out, remember to stop, rest, recharge and come back swinging. We need the fighters in this fight.
As you’ll see, I’ve decided to put the climate back on top. There is some extremely alarming news coming out… well there has been for decades, but it is beyond time we all pay attention. We have a unique opportunity to make great changes right now. We must do it.
Some highlights shared in articles below and in recent sharings of my Weekend Reads:
- We are on track for 1.5 degrees warming within the next five years – we’re at one now and look at the impact?
- Ecosystem collapse is expected this decade! If this happens, starvation and misery will follow. Not to mention millions or billions of climate refugees
- If the temperature gets to two degrees, tropical rainforests can’t survive – directly impacting all of us living in this region
- Glaciers are melting all over the world and we have pink algae in the alps, which will increase that melting
- The South Pole is warming up. The artic is heating up, with a town in Siberia recording the highest temperature ever recorded of 38C
- This means permafrost melting is accelerating, and we’ve underestimated Co2 emissions from melting permafrost by 14 per cent. The methane dragon is awakening
- We have acidified the entire ocean, and fish stocks all over the world are being impacted. If you like crab or lobster, acidification means they can’t form shells
- The Amazon, as well as countries like Indonesia, Malaysia and more, are seeing significant increases in deforestation because of the pandemic, which has meant less oversight of these vital forests! One Amazon expert already predicts we’ve passed its tipping point – what will that mean for global weather patterns when it becomes a savannah?
- And with the climate crisis, I’ve read predictions that we have six months to make significant changes
- For those who don’t believe in climate crisis? Fine, the petroleum industry is expected to make 50% more plastic by 2050. We’re drowning in plastic already.
- We’ve seen birds and sea creatures dying with plastic in their bodies
- And ladies, when we give birth today, our babies already have plastic in their bodies
- Equality is still a far off dream all over the world – even though the benefits are clear
- Diversity is also a critical issue, as we’ve seen with the #BlackLivesMatter protests. We know in Asia, it’s a deeper cultural issue here too. Diversity also has significant benefits
- When equality and diversity is not a priority, everyone is held back – even those not supporting it
- Here’s a great example of initiatives that will make massive impacts. Let’s roll it out around the world: MEDIA ADVISORY: Nearly 1,000 Gen-Z Girl CEOs From 40 States to Unveil Social Impact Ventures Addressing #Covid, #BLM in Live, Online Graduation
We must stand up and speak out. We need to create a new world. A fairer world.
We need to address climate, economics and social challenges together, and to do this, we need global unity. Please vote out leaders who do not fight for this, and younger people, VOTE like your future depends on it, because it does!!
Let’s speak up and demand a change. We can do it. We can all influence our communities. Together we can reach deeper and further than one of us alone.
Let’s support each other, defend each other, and let’s come together and ensure our children do not face a future of abject misery. That is what we will subject them too if we don’t act now. Let’s make sure it doesn’t happen.
What is social leadership?
I put this little video together to help inspire the good people of the world to raise their voices and become social leaders. Be brave, be bold, speak up.
Do you want to become a tiger protector?
Here’s your chance – protecting tigers and their habitat.
Charity: If you are able, can you donate to the UN Refugee Program and World Food Program? We have millions of people facing famine and the impact of extreme poverty. Let’s help the organizations doing the most to address these challenges. Taking care of our fellow humans is so important.
Reflections & Inspirations for our New Extraordinary World– from the fabulous Nathalie Turner
Face to Face Events? Tell ’em They’re Dreaming – and the ideas man, Warwick Merry, totally agree my friend.
Content to read
And here’s the content I’ve been reading this last week. Scan the headlines, read the ones that jump out at you, read or watch them all. Knowledge is power, and global knowledge is even more powerful.
Climate Crisis / 6th Mass Extinction
How to Buy Tech That Lasts and Lasts tks Joanne Flinn – this doesn’t mention climate benefits, but it’s definitely something we must consider, considering the massive growth of e-waste!
How COVID-19 has helped Thailand’s wildlife tks Vicky Coburn
The End of Meat Is Here tks Denise Chai
U.S. court orders Dakota Access oil pipeline to be shut, emptied tks Adrienne Kane
From Meghalaya to Patna: A visual journey across three state borders amid a pandemic tks Anu Kumar – this is beautiful
Neuroscientist: Covid Brain Is Real. Here’s How to Deal With It – tks John Vincent Gordon
Melbourne has nothing to apologise for – we’ve just been unlucky tks Phillipa Edwards
Florida just reported record-high 120 COVID-19 deaths tks Angela Frechette
Will Nepal open for Climbing in Autumn? Tks David Lim
World Health Organisation chief breaks down in tears as he slams ‘tragedy’ of Donald Trump withdrawal
Stop Saying Joe Biden Is Ahead. He Isn’t. tks Patrice Robinet
Thanks to the president tks Graham Harvey
Business and technology
How to Buy Tech That Lasts and Lasts tks Joanne Flinn
Social issues (#BlackLivesMatter) and humanity
Supreme Court says eastern Oklahoma remains Native American territory tks Frank Roberts
Passion, humour, history
How the pandemic will shape the near future | Bill Gates
Let me know if anything jumped out at you? It’d be great to know if this weekly compilation is useful?
18 Steps to An All-Star LinkedIn Profile
This book is the starting point for LinkedIn success. If you want to buy it, it’s available on Amazon.com .co.uk .in .au and Flipkart. It’s also available as an eBook on Amazon Kindle, Kobo, Google Play and iBooks.
Are you a Social CEO?
I’m proud to be a contributing author to The Social CEO: How Social Media Can Make You A Stronger Leader. You can order it on Amazon today.
Want to claim your stage?
Check out our co-authored Best Selling Book – Unleash Your Voice – Powerful Public Speaking for Every Woman – proud to be part of this too!
Want proof social leadership transforms business and attracts customers?
Check out this case study with IBM Asia Pacific. Incredible results.
Want to be a super star online?
Don’t know where to start, check out my e-learning course How to build a rock star personal brand today.
I believe it’s time for all of us to embrace our voice and embrace the future. We do this by working and living ‘out loud’ with meaning, intention, integrity and by being true to ourselves. If you own your voice, you will own your future.
Connect with me
If you like my style and what I talk about, feel free to follow me on any of these platforms on social media.
My blog andreatedwards.com
YouTube Andrea Edwards