If you value my opinion, I really want to encourage you to listen to this podcast – Transcend – with Scott Barry Kaufman. I discovered the You Are Not So Smart Podcast by David McRaney recently and love it. For this particular episode, I kept rewinding it to listen to some of the points. It is brilliant and so important.
Here’s some of my take-aways
- It started with Scott discussing his challenges in education as a child. He had an auditory processing challenge, and instead of being educated how he needed to be educated, he faced many setbacks. What I admired about his story is how he never gave up! I will make sure my son (who’s had challenges) listens to this – very inspiring. Educators will love this podcast
- Digging into the bigger content – we all know Maslow for his hierarchy of needs, BUT he didn’t finish what was probably his most important work – on transcendence. This is all about what being a whole human is. Scott Barry Kaufman decided to take on the job of finishing this work and I’ve just ordered the book. Excited
- One of the fundamental needs for humans is the need for exploration – and it can comes in two forms – behavioural (extreme sports, adventurous travel) and cognitive (looking at all sides of information, digging deep into knowledge)
- He discusses the dark triads and the light triads – the dark triad is narcissism, Machiavellianism and psychopathy. The light triad is Kantianism, humanism and faith in humanity. We all have both within us
- Kantianism is about seeing people as an end in themselves, not a meaning to an end. Humanism is about seeing dignity and worth in everyone. Seeing sacredness within each person we meet. Faith in humanity is believing that humans are essentially good. If you know me, you’ll know this speaks very strongly to me
- One of Maslow’s messages was love for the being of others, or be love! I just so resonated with this. It’s about appreciating the unique sacredness within each person we meet. I was talking to my husband about this the other night, before I listened to this podcast, but I was using different words. It is the key to joy and contentment in life
- He believes when you are engaged with the world, there is nothing you want
- To find your purpose, look around and find areas where you can meet the unmet needs of others. It can be as simple as volunteering in a soup kitchen, or making others feel seen as you go about your day – this is all about helping others feel like they matter in the world
- To achieve transcendence we need safety, connection, love, to be love, purpose, self-esteem, exploration, experiences we get lost in, awe and so much more – that’s how we transcend. I cover so many of these topics in my book, Uncommon Courage
- If we can realize our potential to its fullest, we stop thinking about ourselves, and become synergistic with the world. If it’s good for you and society, that’s transcendence. We need a bit of that, no?
For those interested in the light triads and the dark triads, here’s three articles:
Have a listen. It’s a great podcast and if enough people can start moving towards transcendence, well we might actually have a chance of sorting this world out. Let me know what you think when you listen OK?
Connected Women Signs Agreement With FHMoms To Further Opportunities For Filipino Women Gina Romero is a woman I admire so much. She is doing such great work. Seriously, if you want to understand what a person driven by purpose looks like, Gina is a shining example. FHMoms CEO and co-founder MK Bertulfo, has a mission to “change lives, one mom at a time.” I LOVE this so much! Go ladies.
I also published this article in Expat Choice – 8 ideas on how you can be a great tourist when the world opens up. The people making your holiday memorable when you start travelling again, have been through hell and back in your absence! Be super generous and considerate towards everyone you meet.
Did you know the World Food Programme has had to stop delivering food in Yemen? Not because of war, but because they have no funds to buy more food. Let’s get behind them and donate. If you work for a business, can you start a global fundraising program for the World Food Programme? Such important work and we need to keep these guys working!
Remember how I talked about John Julius Bennett, riding the Tour de France Phuket to raise money for One Phuket? He kicked off with 200kms today and you can follow his ride here. Just brilliant. Awesome human.
Content to read
And here’s the content I’ve been reading this last week. Scan the headlines, read the ones that jump out at you, read or watch them all. Knowledge is power, and global knowledge is even more powerful.
Climate Crisis / 6th Mass Extinction
Climate and nature crises: solve both or solve neither, say experts tks Joanne Flinn
What is Novavax and what do moths have to do with producing the non-mRNA vaccine? Tks Priscilla Joseph
‘Devastated’ Phuket in race to vaccinate 70% of islanders in time for holiday season tks Maeve Henry-Taylor
Business and Technology
Social issues (#BlackLivesMatter) and humanity
Passion, humour, history
Let me know if anything jumped out at you?
Uncommon Courage – my new book – is available
Do check out my new Website uncommon-courage.com.
Come and join the conversation in my new Facebook Group Uncommon Courage.
Connect with me
18 Steps to an All-Star LinkedIn Profile
Listed by Book Authority in the 100 Best LinkedIn Books of All Time and 22 Best New LinkedIn eBooks To Read In 2021 categories. Grab it today if you want to take your professional presence to the next level! When it comes to LinkedIn, it really is time to ask — can you really afford not to have this book in the hands of every employee?
Have I done a great job for you? Can you write a reference on my LinkedIn profile or on my Google Business page? If not for me, why not write one for someone else who inspires you or has helped you? Join the #GivingEconomy