When we were in lockdown this time last year, I was determined to do the biggest home clean out I’ve ever done, but it didn’t happen. I was disappointed in myself too. But here we are in lockdown number three (another serious one), and well, I’m not going to miss this opportunity again. My family loves it – not!
Anyhoo, I’ve moved countries eight times, give or take, and there are boxes that keep coming with me, because I just never seem to find the time to sort it out. No more, I am sorting it out and do you know what I keep finding? Electrical cables for every piece of technology I’ve ever owned, kept just in case we needed them! Well we don’t. No one does.
So for businesses, a couple of take-aways and easy-to-do changes in the supply chain
- Paper manuals in multiple languages should be a thing of the past – go fully digital and save trees
- Electrical cables. Rather than putting every variation possible in the box, why don’t you put country specific plugs in? You can make the others available as a separate purchase. I appreciate this makes it easier for your business, but our landfills are testament to the crisis being created. NO UNECESSARY EXCESS ANYMORE PLEASE
- CDs are useless, THEY have been for a long time and should not be packed in any tech anymore. If you have some country markets where they are still relevant, sure, no problem. But a country with high digital penetration is not using CDs
- Excess packaging in the boxes, such as plastic, plastic bags of air, cardboard, styrofoam, and more, should all be part of history. Look into mushroom packaging and other sustainable options please
- The overall excess packaging of products needs to be addressed, and if you’re shipping products with a whole lot of air in the boxes – air typically stuffed with plastic like bubble wrap – well time for new designs. Let’s cut out waste across every area of our businesses
All of the above would save trees, reduce plastic consumption, and help with the amount of e-waste in the world. We have to get conscious of zero excess in everything sold today. Consumer tech can do a lot to help, and it requires a transformation of how you do the packaging.
A final point for business. It was time for end of year books these last couple of weeks too – always fun! So here’s a simple request. Please make all of your receipts printable as one page? So many companies have two or more pages printing out, and a receipt can always fit on one page.
Yes I still have to print receipts, and I’d be very happy if all of my vendors gave me a single page.
What Would be The Preferred Management Styles of Your Ideal Boss? C.J. Ng published this article and I loved it. First he’s used LinkedIn polls intelligently and drawn great conclusions from the data, but he also looked at cultural differences too. Nice job.
Yes I am going to ask you to donate every week, because there is so much need in the world right now. If you can afford to, please donate. My suggestions, World Food Programme, UN Refugee Program, PowerOf , Kiva.org, Soi Dog Foundation. If you can afford to be generous, now is the time to help your fellow human.
Content to read
And here’s the content I’ve been reading this last week. Scan the headlines, read the ones that jump out at you, read or watch them all. Knowledge is power, and global knowledge is even more powerful.
Climate Crisis / 6th Mass Extinction
Climate Crisis – 710 Million Children Live In Countries At High Risk – tks Nicola Upham
Millions Are Saying No to the Vaccines. What Are They Thinking? tks Lavinia Thanapathy
Do You Live in a Political Bubble? tks Barry Graubart
Business and Technology
Social issues (#BlackLivesMatter) and humanity
Passion, humour, history
Let me know if anything jumped out at you?
Coming soon – Uncommon Courage
18 Steps to an All-Star LinkedIn Profile
18 Steps to an All-Star LinkedIn Profile is listed by Book Authority in the 100 Best LinkedIn Books of All Time and 22 Best New LinkedIn eBooks To Read In 2021 categories. Grab it today if you want to take your professional presence to the next level!
When it comes to LinkedIn, it really is time to ask — can you really afford not to have this book in the hands of every employee?
Connect with me
Join my new Facebook Group Uncommon Courage.
Check out my regularly updated Environment References blog.
Have I done a great job for you?
Check out Second Nature Social
This is a new series, designed to help beginners get up to speed with everything necessary on social media. Follow my YouTube channel and see the latest.
Are you a Social CEO?
I’m proud to be a contributing author to The Social CEO: How Social Media Can Make You A Stronger Leader. You can order it on Amazon today.
Want to claim your stage?
Check out our co-authored Best Selling Book – Unleash Your Voice – Powerful Public Speaking for Every Woman – proud to be part of this too!
Want proof social leadership transforms business and attracts customers?
Check out this case study with IBM Asia Pacific. Incredible results.
Want to be a super star online?
Don’t know where to start, check out my e-learning course How to build a rock star personal brand today.
I believe it’s time for all of us to embrace our voice and embrace the future. We do this by working and living ‘out loud’ with meaning, intention, integrity and by being true to ourselves. If you own your voice, you own your future.